Monday, April 14, 2008

Makes me want to change careers...

For as long as I can remember (ok, since the fall of 2002) I have wanted to work in the global health field, and specifically in improving maternal and child health in developing countries.

I was inspired by the Millennium Development Goals and that a goal existed for both child and maternal health. The goals were stated in 2000 and here we are eight years later, and beyond the half way point to achieve these ambitious, yet necessary and long overdue goals to create a safer, healthier world.

Three-quarters of the 68 countries most in need of improving mother and child mortality rates have made little, if any, progress in meeting internationally set goals over the past three years, according to a series of new reports.

From the U.S. News & World Report article:
# Tanzania is one of the few African nations on track to meet the goal of reducing child mortality, showing a 24 percent decline from 2000 to 2004. The report credits good program funding and several initiatives such as insecticide-treated nets to prevent malaria, vitamin A supplementation, immunization and exclusive breast-feeding.
# South Africa is suffering major setbacks in meeting its goals because of pregnancy and childbirth complications, newborn illness, childhood illness, HIV and AIDS, and malnutrition. It is one of just 12 countries globally where the child mortality rate has risen since 1990.

Having traveled, studied, and worked (briefly) in health clinics in both South Africa and Tanzania- I feel a tug at my heart to jump back in this world.

Poverty, inequity, and sub standard health systems are such huge problems that will take decades to fix- I feel like I can go back any time. Is there a moment now to bring home the MDGs? Am I better suited to work in policy state side? I know when I go back to maternal and child health clinics and creches internationally I will not want to leave Africa again.

No comments: