Wednesday, September 10, 2008

All the news I need...

I wanted to update but simply don't have the mental energy to write anything meaningful about Palin's ridiculosity, McCain's lies, or one way you can help Obama get in the White House.

So I thought I'd chat about the weather. (You know, the most important news of the day. You know you care about it, don't lie.)

Before you even leave the house you can check out Umbrella Today?
You can even receive mobile updates-- I haven't tried that feature yet, but I like the no fuss nature of this site. There's no "20% chance of light rain from the north west if that low pressure system moves in at about 5mph" talk. No, no, no! You get a straightforward answer, which is refreshing.

With all the hurricanes churning in the Atlantic I've found it necessary to keep up with the updates put out by NOAA. But you don't just have to check out the National Hurricane Center site- there are some more aesthetic tools out there.

Check it.

NHC

While classic is always in style, sometimes it's good to freshen up your look a bit too. This site has zero user functionality- you can't even zoom. Sure there are plenty of other choices such as looking at the 3 and 5-day path, the wind speed probability range, and the wind history....but it's just lacking that hip- "I'm Joe Cantore currently surfing the northern eye wall" pizzazz.



Weather Underground

Dr. Jeff Master's Wunder Blog is a true blog- complete with satellite images and photos with detailed descriptions about his take on the different reports coming in--though I still get the feeling that I'm just taking my local weatherman's word for it-- and again-- no cool features.




Stormpulse

Now this is what I'm talking about. Stormpulse is an interactive page where you can click to see the storm's progression, chart how many miles it is away from your city of choice, read up on the latest National Hurricane Center advisories, and is a complete warehouse for news, satellite imagery, and even this year's storm names! (ooooooh!) Only downside is this little disclaimer "Stormpulse.com is not an official weather source; it should not be your sole source for official advisories, discussions, watches, or warnings."

No comments: