Thursday, September 18, 2008

Uninhibited TV time *Warning, don't try this at home*

I watched the Biggest Loser Tuesday night for the first time. I've been watching a lot of shows for the first time considering my new home in Tenleytown is the first time I've had working cable since college.

I can't say I didn't technically own a TV, because a well-meaning friend actually brought me over a chunky, heavy TV, misunderstanding that by "I don't have a TV" I meant the service--nor did I have any intention of purchasing it.I had this big box TV just sitting on the floor for awhile. Then in a large house in Little Havana that Alyssa and I shared in the glorious summer of 2006, we created a poster TV-- set perpetually to the weather channel. It was a fair assessment to put the temperature at 99 degrees, 100% humidity, with a 30% chance of afternoon t-storms for a Miami summer.

So ya I've gotten into some ridiculous reality TV in the past 2 weeks. I'm counting on you to judge me and mock me publicly so I stop.
  • I'm addicted to Project Runway. I think it's ridiculous and I don't even like Heidi Klum-- I much prefer America's Next Top Model and think Tyra is a much better role model-- but Project Runway is always on!
  • The Hills. I'm embarrassed about this one. Certainly the fault of my roomies. Come to think of it, Project Runway was their fault too.
  • House - which I knew I liked- but they have these marathons which are so addicting.

And now there's the fall line-up.
  • Heroes. Can Monday night 8pm/est NBC come any quicker please?! Bethany got me hooked via DVD of this little show- now I can't stop.
  • Dancing with the Stars. I heart all dancing shows and movies. Yup, even "bring it on"
  • The Office. This is the big one... That's what she said.
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Just saw the first 2 episodes Thursday night- I got into this one when my friend Mayur and I spent a few Sundays lounging around watching netflix dvd's of this racy fx show.
  • ER final season! Sure I've fallen off the ER crowd for a few years, but my mom still religiously DVRs them for me in case I ever come home.

Back to the Biggest Loser.
I was inspired.
And horrified.
And eating dinner. A frozen Indian pretty healthy dinner at that. But I could barely get it all down.

I started leg lifts on the couch out of fear that I'm on the path to be a contestant. I have gained 40 pounds in the past 4 years. I decided on the spot I had to start working out seriously again.

But I had a problem.









Yes, in the form of Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. Let's not discuss why I had said cheesecake- but at least I had leftovers to bring home. Now it stood in my way to starting a new healthy beginning.

I finished watching the Biggest Loser seeing dozens of pounds lost- melting off- it was incredible. I went to bed and thought I'd wake up early to work out.

Instead - when I went to make my lunch the next morning, the 30th Anniversary cheesecake stared back....and won that contest. I devoured the rest of the cheesecake with finger licking finesse until not even the dollop of whip cream was left standing. shame.

Yet, I overcame that cheesecake slice and have worked out 3 times since Wednesday- incorporating yoga, crunches, and yes, even jogging around my new neighborhood into my life.

So here's to being inspired and working out- even if the occasional chocolately battle is lost at Hello Cupcake! or Tangy Sweet.

2 comments:

do what you love said...

I have no cable, because I can't afford it. I feel you. I miss reality TV and the opportunity to kill my brain cells...

Z said...

ooooohh tangy sweet. i could eat my way out of a giant carrot cake cupcake at Hello Cupcake!