Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Survey Says...

Today is election day in Miami Beach for the city commission and mayor's seat. I was out there at 7am waving a sign for honestly my favorite candidate this season, Jonah Wolfson. I was out there at 7am not necessarily by choice, but because of work. I'm employed by a labor union--and before you jump to any conclusions you should probably let me ramble on a bit before you start spouting some idiotic predetermined view of unions and political races stemming from New York or Chicago or Pittsburgh back when your grandparents starting making their millions off the back of laborers.

Anyways, back to working the voters. I truly believe it is next to pointless to stand out on election day with signs and t-shirts and info cards on your chosen candidate. If, and I strongly emphasize IF people are actually taking the time to go vote, I assert that they already have an opinion on whom they will vote. If they don't, if there is any value left in our shabby democratic republic, I hope they are not counting how many signs are in front of their polling station to determine which candidate is more popular-- or who they can pay more to stand out there like an idiot for hours at a time.

But there I stood waving my sign like one of those trickster rental place guys (did you know that is copyrighted- yes those guys that flip and twist the signs for you to rent or buy some condo). Luckily I met a lawyer who thought as I did-- standing out here was pointless for the voters. So why on earth would you do it? "Because Matti asked me to and I like her." So yes the whole point is to bolster the candidates feelings as they nervouly await the results at the end of the night. We joked about how many people's minds we changed by standing out there, the low voter turnout, how we should take the opponents signs and hit voters with them so they vote for our candidates...I have his card. His kid is my age.

I'm at UM right now. I just finished a presentation for STAND-- A Fisher Island worker, Mariette, came and spoke to them about the discrimination she faces and the plan of action-- November 17 beach invasion!!! what's up. It will be fun. Hopefully they will enter the contest.

I hung out with Liza which was great. She is writing a thesis on STAND and the movement, which will be great for record keeping. I admire her so much, she really is one of the most academically thoughtful people I know, and sweet- a good listener, and an intelligence that will come from nowhere and knock the wind out of you. She will definitely go far.-- ugh it only reminds me though how badly I need to actually graduate. It's been a running joke now for far too long. I have one measly paper left to actually attain my degree. If I don't hurry up, my cousin will beat me at graduating! I've lost my chance for this fall so I need to just do it sometime by January, apply for graduation, and simply wait for it to come to me in May. It's depressing to even think about.

I can definitely spend time on campus to be motivated to do my paper though, it m akes me want to study in the library, read and write. I miss school.

I miss it, yet I'm so ready for the next step in my life. I've been feeling as if I've been in transition for well, since I "graduated" (walked May 06).

My opportunity to move to D.C. has come about a year earlier than I expected- but you know I'm not waiting around for that door to open again! I love D.C. the sights, the atmosphere, the people, the work, the mood, the politics, the metro, the weather, the suits, the fast pace. I see this move as a true step forward in my life and I look forward to reflecting more when


1 comment:

Oranguteena said...

You flatter me. I am the one whose wind has been knocked out (again). You have been amazing to me since you stepped onto the STAND scene back at the beginning of '06 (or the end of '05). Best of luck with your blog . . . and all of your other endeavors. Love! =)