Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Night monument tour - hey, you gotta do it once a season.


utterz-image
Well, the Folklife Festival is underway on the Mall. This year they took a stab at introducing people to an organization...NASA. I am a big NASA geek to put it mildly- my coffee mug is an old school spaceport USA one with my name printed on it from 4th grade. It was a touch of home to have a smaller scale Shuttle sitting there, waiting for me- almost mimicking the Washington Monument.

utterz-image
My friend pictured here doing a handstand on the Monument was the reason for my late night monument tour- he flew in that day for an overnight trip (oh, the "benefits" of being a flight attendant).

We visited WW2, Lincoln, Vietnam War, Korean War, and last and certainly LEAST the White House. I tried to tell him it was a small, kinda unimpressive building hidden away- but he had to see for himself. All in all a good walk though I must say the walk from WW2 to Lincoln was a little rough- we walked right next to the reflecting pool and had mouthfuls of gnats the whole way. I guess that is why we pave over paradise and use bug spray.

Mobile post sent by tanyalias using Utterz. reply-count Replies.

No comments: