Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A small, yet beautiful world.

utterz-image
It is a small world. If you have traveled across the globe or even your home country you are likely to have a surprising yet familiar story of running into someone you know in the most unlikely place. Now, with social networking sites (facebook) and location updaters (twitter...) it is easier to keep in contact and plan with your friends or friens of friends in a far off location you plan to visit (or for the adventurous you can use couchsurfing network to meet up with stragers willing to lend a couch or share local knowledge).

Well, through facebook i found my fellow Cane and sorority sister Andrea in San Juan, currently working on the Obama campaign. I took the leap and drove 18km to kantare's, a lively restaurant and bar, dimly lit inside but decorated by bulbous christmas colored lights outside on the patio. They offer live music, and tonight the act was my friend singing to open up for her father's act. It was a delight and i met a group of hardworking Obama campaigners and even a former SEIU organizer!

We shared wine, quesadillas, rellenos, and stories from our hardest campaigns while the dreamy melodies on guitar and voice rose and fell as gently as an ocean wave on a calm summer's night.

I managed to get a little lost on the way home, but didn't all too much mind the winding one-way streets leading me to more parties and restaurants. I trusted my instincts and headed "oeste" until I remembered the sharp curves leading to spectacular water views. On my walk to the hotel, i saw even more SEIU folks enjoying the balmy playful evening, including executive vice presidents Mary Kay and Eliseo.

Now, after a very long day i am ready to sleep (as latin housemusic and cheerdul voices rise up from the alley into my room! Good thing for earplugs). Hasta manana!

Mobile post sent by tanyalias using Utterz. reply-count Replies.

No comments: