Thursday, October 2, 2008

First impressions of Indiana

Welcome to Indiana.

I did not get any such welcome except a 3.5 hour drive in the pouring rain, detour routes on unknown highways, my first view of factories as far as the eye can see, and more semi trucks than I've ever seen on I-95.

Despite getting lost in SE Chicago and again somewhere in Indiana, I managed to make it to my Extended Stay hotel and then off to the SEIU Local 73 office. I was worn out from 8 hours of traveling and being soaked from sudden showers every time I stepped out of the car, yet I was still thrilled to see volunteers pairing up and heading out to register voters. I checked in with the field coordinator and got all the details on our choice of Jill Long Thompson for Governor and our voter registration drive . After getting my bearings I went out grocery shopping and stocked up on the essentials. Yes, that's Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Heck, fall is my favorite season and I need to celebrate it no matter where I am. I'm sacrificing Halloween for Obama so I might as well enjoy a few nights in of rich tasty goodness.

Overall the hotel is nice- It's like a studio apt with a full kitchen. Sure there is a ton of construction going on but so far the banging didn't start until 9am which is bearable.


Merillville, IN where I'm staying reminds me a whole lot of my hometown of Melbourne, FL. Every store you can imagine is on US30- and I definitely checked out the neighborhood- there's a mall, Best Buy, Target, Old Navy, Sam's Club (booo!), movie theaters, Barnes & Noble (go there now and see the huge Wicked paraphernalia set up- not so subtle hint: great Xmas present for me would be the 2009 calendar) and a ton of restaurants- including my fave Olive Garden!

Not that I imagine I'll get any time to hang out in these places- but it's comforting to know if I need ANYTHING it's right there.

Which got me thinking... I feel ridiculously comfortable here. I have a car, every store easily accessible, a place to stay with everything I need... Oh My Gosh I enjoy "suburbia" or whatever this is way more than the big city life. (D.C. is definitely a big city to me).

In D.C. I feel limited. I can only shop for what I can carry, my back and arms are always sore from heavy lifting of groceries, furniture, or whatever else I get myself into. I just signed up for Zipcar, but even then I freaked at the idea of driving in D.C. or driving the pick up truck-and it's expensive.

Am I really saying this? Is this just me missing home a little bit? Will things get better in D.C.?

Well I don't know the answer to that, but I do know I am set up here and ready to go get a ton of people signed up to vote and vote Obama!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now you know why I enjoy getting back to OH...it's just easier. You'll be ready to get back to us in the District soon! Keep kicking butt and enjoy some Oktoberfest for me!