Friday, October 3, 2008

A "Mighty Fine" Day

We started our daily meeting with prayer- for our safety, for good results, for the continuance of blessings on all of us.

Before I knew it I was paired up with Mr. Jones and Emily* and we were out the door with a stack of registration forms. Mr. Jones is a real character- a retired school maintenance and janitorial worker, he has lived in Gary, Indiana for upwards of 40 years. He knows this town inside and out, and everyone knows him. He yaps away, saying plenty of things that only an old man can get away with, and always responds that things are "mighty fine." In one conversation, he can pull out this phrase at least 5 times.

Emily is a first generation American. Her parents moved here from Nigeria to attend college. We shared the same major and focus in college (Yay anthropology majors!), a similar work ethic and need to be busy to be happy, and I'm sure with some more time together a real friendship is waiting to blossom (collective "awww" inserted here).

Well I was surprised when our first stop of the day was to a soul food buffet. Being the newbie out in the field, my strategy is to go with the flow and see each member political organizer as my teacher. Over piles of mac 'n cheese, liver and gravy, greens, corn bread, and peach cobbler I started to learn a little bit about the SEIU members and organizers who have all given up their normal lives to help get Obama elected.

After second heaping portions, we wrapped up our conversations and headed out to register voters. A few groups went over to "The Village" shopping center. A run-down strip mall with maybe 15 stores horse-shoed around a large, mostly empty parking lot, The Village certainly did not look like prime pickings for voters.

Apparently, most folks here are registered, as the team hit up the FEMA flood disaster relief lines the past few days. I got lucky and the first man I spoke to needed to register. I filled out the form as he held his hot dog and newspaper. Yes! First one down. I was pumped.

An hour passed and we found that the other groups had set up tables inside and were catching most of the people. Hm. No where else to go Mr. Jones? Not really.

Emily and I started paroling the parking lot. A FedEx truck rolled in and I figured I'd ask- woo- a disenfranchised voter- he didn't even want to vote. I started rattling off issues that he would likely care about. After a few trips in and out- he got the point I wasn't leaving him alone. "Hey hold this box for me and I'll fill out your little form." I started asking him questions. Name. Date of Birth. Address. "You have until I get into the truck and drive away to finish." I quickly filled in the rest and got his signature. Phew- I can only hope when the card comes in the mail, he'll think about it and actually go to vote.

A trickle of people all day kept us engaged- and one man I signed up was head to toe decked out in 'Canes gear. Other than that, it was slow.

At the end of the day each person in my team collected 8 registration forms. I'm torn. I don't know the area- I don't know the "hot spots" but surely there is a better way to find other potential voters out there!

Well, I am going to still go with the flow today and see if I can push people to think of other ways we can get more forms-- a different neighborhood, driving farther out, switching locations, at least splitting up all the teams to different spots? I don't want to be the new girl who thinks she has all the answers-- but I desperately want us to turn out the maximum number of people to vote Obama!

(suggestions welcome- add them in the comments!)


*Names have been changed until I get permission to use them.

1 comment:

Z said...

i have to agree that there MUST be a more ingenius way to get people registered. The people who stand outside my work on the street..barely tolerable. I am always nice but most people are just annoyed. I wish i knew a better way!

I hope you're doing well! I'm still admiring your drive! I had a call asking me to go door to door next weekend. I wouldn't know what to say?