Friday, October 10, 2008

No news is not good news

We haven't heard anything about the federal hearing regarding opening early voting sites in NW Indiana.

Stay tuned, the hearing is set for today.

Yesterday I was out at the Save More supermarket in Gary, Indiana where voters were upset that their voice was being diminished. Over and over voters yesterday remarked "I can't drive to Crown Point," and "You won't be seeing me at Crown Point." Not only because they didn't have transportation- but also because of what Crown Point represents. The KKK has a stronghold in Crown Point, and most folks in Gary and Hammond rather take their chances and wait for November 4.

SEIU is offering rides for these disenfranchised voters, but it isn't easy to convince them to jump in the car with strangers for early voting- a new method to NW Indiana. People are skeptical that their vote will not count, and unsure why they should vote early instead of waiting to go to their poll on the 4th.

I had 6 people sign up for rides yesterday, and 3 said they would volunteer for the campaign. Not a bad day. I think our volume will only increase from here.

After the rush at the supermarket died down, my partner for the day and long-time Gary resident Mr. Thurman took me over to see the "finer side of this town." We drove through Miller and over to Lake Michigan. It was a perfect day, mid 70s and sunny. You could see the stunning Chicago skyline across the lake. I've included some photos below.

No comments: